I need to blog more.
Saturday I helped my friend and co-worker get his house ready to sell by painting his basement. Saturday night went to a crazy house party and Sunday was hot and sunny so I took a few people boating. Probably one of the boats last outings because the weather is going to turn any week now and I need to sell it if I’m ever going to be able to afford two mortgages!
Here are some links:
- Google’s New York employees hit the clubs – Getting on the list, especially in NYC, is a nice perk
- Improving Undergraduate Computer Science Education
- NYT Mag, In Nature’s Casino – Interesting article on risk and how its quantified and financed. If I were more mathematically inclined I would have gone to Wall Street
- Challenging the Generals – Interesting article on the problems when there is a gulf between management and the people on the front line. I bet the situation outlined in the article with the US Army is similar to large dysfunctional companies like Microsoft
- Minding the Meeting, or Your Computer? – When I Microsoft I always used to bring my laptop to meetings and only half participate in meetings. I then noticed that our most senior managers never used their laptops in meetings. I then decided that, like them, if you’re going to commit 30 minutes or an hour to a meeting commit 100% of your attention and push back on meetings that you don’t really need to attend.