Every year I swear I’ll climb Mount Rainier hoping by if some miracle that the trip will arrange itself. This year, I had been hoping the same thing but then recently a few friends and I have been emailing about what our options are so perhaps it will happen.
Here are our options as I understand them:
- Guided trip with one of the big guide companies RMI, AAI, IMG
- 3-4 days
- Notes: only a few dates left with each company, differences between companies not clear, supposedly if you live in Seattle you should really find a guide
- Guided trip with a smaller outfit like Northwest Mountain School
- 5 days
- Climb For Clean Air (really RMI)
- 3 days
- Fundraise ~$4000
- Learn how to mountaineer
- Find someone to take us up
- How!? This is the preferred option but unclear how to find someone to take a few newbies up.
Seattle Times has an article about this too, The lowdown on mountain guides (and a few good tips).